Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Do you own Your Stuff?

Via Kung Fu Rodeo

This past weekend, I went to see Pixar's Wall-E and it was the first time in a very long time that I didn't feel like I wasted $10 on admission. This film is just so wonderful from visuals to storyline to message. I was prompted to give the film a chance when I saw the promotional postcards incorporating the propaganda images created during World War II and designs that came out of 1960's geometric futurism.

Grain Edit posted some more information on the artist, Eric Tan, and his terrific images to promote the film. I especially love The Future is Now! poster.

In the film people are forced off earth on a permanent vacation because the mounds of garbage they bought from Buy O Large and discarded has taken over the earth. In this theme of waste is this story about Mr. Jalopy the leader of the Maker's Movement. The mantra is to reuse and repair rather than discarding and buying more. A very interesting idea in the week Apple sold 1 million of another generation of their electronic empire and as I contemplate upgrading my IPod. Check out Mr Jalopy's biggest IPod ever and his blog to learn more about ways to stop being apart of the throw-away culture and take part in making things.

More information on Maker Movement:
Make Magazine
Maker Faire

No comments: