Monday, April 16, 2007

For the LOVE of Teak

I have a small obsession with teak. I didn't realize how much I was drawn to teak until I started to notice the theme popping up all around my home. I love the warmth that eminates from this material that looks even more powerful contrasted by cool colors. Teak is synonymous with Danish Modern of the 1950's and 1960's mid-century furniture. It is a sturdy material with a real presence. The material can add a sleek, modern touch to any room.

The teak color scheme may be popular in vintage furniture, but conglomerates in the mass market still have not caught on. You can always find the the same old mahogany, espresso, blonde, white, or black color selections. Oh teak may show up in patio furniture, but for the most part it is not available in the mass market productions. West Elm did recently start offering a color selection similar to teak called acorn in a few items. For the most part teak is still more widely available in vintage furniture which can add the uniqueness to your home hard to find in today's market of same, same, and same!




3 comments:

becky from hatch said...

I was just admiring some of this teak Dansk on eBay two weeks ago - I bet the prices are getting ready to skyrocket soon.

Where is that house in Atlanta pictured below? I live in Atlanta as well and I'd love to do a drive-by! Your blog is great! I found you via the link to my blog over at design public.

Is there a different way you can have people post comments? The google-account only way may prevent people from commenting.

Becky

Eye Eclectic said...

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the note about the comments. I turned off the need for a google account in order to comment.

About the house. I had a picture of street signs where the home sits, but at the moment I am unable to locate it. The home is not far from Northside Drive near I-285 in the Sandy Springs area and it really puts all the homes (the size of shopping malls) to shame around it. I will try to post a better description soon.

Thanks for visiting and I enjoy Design Public!

Eye Eclectic said...

The amazing modern home is located at the intersection of Northside drive and Old Powers Ferry Road near I-285.