Friday, February 1, 2008

Eero Saarinen Exhibit


This past summer I was hoping to get a firsthand look at Cranbrook's museum and collections, but I only toured the grounds since it was closed for the labor day weekend. I am more than thrilled to learn a retrospective of one of Cranbrook's star pupils, Eero Saarinen, has opened in Atlanta. Eero's father, Eliel, began teaching at Cranbrook Academy of Art when Eero was 13 years old. I can't even imagine what it was like to grow up at the Cranbrook.

There is nothing better then to walk inside one of Eero's buildings or to get your hands on one of his tulip chairs. How could you not love the TWA terminal at JFK International Airport, St. Louis Gateway Arch, or how the tulip chair changed the view that a chair must have four legs. Eero's designs are simply iconic. I am so thankful for Eero's designs and delighted to see a showcase of his work.

No comments: